A note on navigating this blog: The Topics list in the right hand margin of each page for computers and below for phones and tablets, is a menu that gives you direct access to all the posts.
MASTERING SELF PROMOTION
The purpose of this blog is to give you, the artist,* the tools you need to promote your work in a professional manner. I don’t presume to know all the answers, but I would like to share with you the information and resources I have been compiling along with occasional insights from my personal experiences. All the resources here are free. Some of the information you will find are the how and why of:
- writing an artist bio, statement, resume and press release.
- speaking about your work.
- navigating many of the online social media options.
- digital photography and videos.
- tapestry finishing and presentation.
- postcards, brochures, business cards and other printed promotional materials.
- the business of selling: dealing with galleries, craft shows, pricing, selling online, commissions, writing contracts as well as packing and shipping locally and internationally.
- the business of art: branding, forming a business, dealing with taxes and funding in the form of grants and crowd sourcing as well as time management.
You will find information on art theory, relevant books and online classes, residencies and other related links. You can use the comment area to ‘converse’ with others, sharing your experiences and posing questions. This is a long term project that I will slowly add to. I hope you will also be a part of the growth of this site. Please use comments to share your experiences: both what has worked and what has not worked for you.
Artist in Residence in the US National Parks System: An Interview with Lyn Hart
I had the pleasure of interviewing tapestry artist Lynn Hart about her experiences at three residencies with the US National Parks, Artist in Residence program. I …
Priscilla May Alden talks about her technique for pricing tapestry.
I spoke with Cilla in her Maine studio, which is nestled in the woods outside of Boothbay Harbor. She spoke at length, about her experience as a member of a …
By Guest Writer:
Finding and dealing with galleries and other venues is a very large topic. I hope to touch on a few things that will help you in this quest.
Over the years I have …
It’s About Time: Identify your Distractions
We live in a world full of distractions. It’s so easy to get side tracked. The …
For some of us, pricing our work may be a harder task than actually creating it. It’s a topic of conversation where we tread lightly. Many don’t wish to say in dollars, euros, what have you, how we determine our …