This scholarship is for any American Tapestry Alliance member who wishes to pursue study in the field of tapestry weaving. (Not an ATA member? Join here.) The application may be for study in workshops, courses, study with individual tutors or institutions of higher learning. A Scholarship Committee will determine the number of awards granted. Full funding of an application is not guaranteed. The American Tapestry Alliance reserves the right to withhold the award in any given year.
Who may apply:
Scholarship applicant must be a current member of American Tapestry Alliance at any membership level.
- Applicant must confirm that they need financial support to take advantage of the learning opportunity.
- Applicant may not have received a scholarship from ATA during the past five years.
- Funds may not be used for equipment purchases.
- Scholarship is intended to assist with costs related to valid study/learning opportunities related to the art and craft of hand woven tapestry. Scholarships are typically less than $500.00.
- Funds will be paid directly to the institution or teacher. We prefer to make payments to teachers or schools outside the United States through PayPal.
Requirements for scholarship recipient
- Scholarship recipient must produce a written report, accompanied by images, about the study/learning opportunity within three months of the funded study opportunity.
- Scholarship recipient will submit an article to Tapestry Topics related to the study within three months of the funded study opportunity. OR the scholarship recipient may give a presentation to a weavers group about their study opportunity, instead of writing an article for Tapestry Topics.
- Scholarship recipient may be offered an opportunity to share information about the study at an ATA event.
- Digital images of at least two completed tapestries and, if possible, a work in progress. Submit a detail for each tapestry.
- Name of the course of study, website and/or a scan of the class description; contact information for school or instructor.
- Information about the content of the program & an explanation of the benefits to the applicant. All of this shall be no more than 150 words.
- Total cost of the program and the amount requested. Please itemize the expenses, e.g. tuition, materials, transportation, housing, and also include the amount that you can fund through sources other than the scholarship.
- Two letters of recommendation.
Application Deadline: February 1
Notification: by March 15
Submission Information: Submit your application online.