A note on navigating this blog: The Topics list in the right hand margin of each page for computers and below for phones and tablets, is a menu that gives you direct access to all the posts.
MASTERING SELF PROMOTION
The purpose of this blog is to give you, the artist,* the tools you need to promote your work in a professional manner. I don’t presume to know all the answers, but I would like to share with you the information and resources I have been compiling along with occasional insights from my personal experiences. All the resources here are free. Some of the information you will find are the how and why of:
- writing an artist bio, statement, resume and press release.
- speaking about your work.
- navigating many of the online social media options.
- digital photography and videos.
- tapestry finishing and presentation.
- postcards, brochures, business cards and other printed promotional materials.
- the business of selling: dealing with galleries, craft shows, pricing, selling online, commissions, writing contracts as well as packing and shipping locally and internationally.
- the business of art: branding, forming a business, dealing with taxes and funding in the form of grants and crowd sourcing as well as time management.
You will find information on art theory, relevant books and online classes, residencies and other related links. You can use the comment area to ‘converse’ with others, sharing your experiences and posing questions. This is a long term project that I will slowly add to. I hope you will also be a part of the growth of this site. Please use comments to share your experiences: both what has worked and what has not worked for you.
Priscilla Alden is a tapestry weaver in Boothbay, Maine, USA. I had the pleasure to interview Cilla in her beautiful studio last spring. She spoke about her experience as a long time member of …
I thought it would be interesting to have a place to write about my personal experiences with marketing and promoting my work. I’ll add to this as time goes by so you can follow along with my progress. trying to …
Create, Share & Spread the Word: Content Marketing for Tapestry Weavers and Teachers
A guest post by Elena Zuyok
What is Content Marketing?
Whether you’re a tapestry weaver looking to sell your work or a weaving teacher searching for …
There is so much involved in entering exhibits. You have to sift through all the possibilities to find the exhibits your work would benefit from. Then you have the time consuming task of filling out the …