A tapestry postcard exchange and online exhibition for ATA members
HERE AND (T)HERE is a tapestry postcard exchange and online exhibition for ATA members, spearheaded by Dorothy Clews. Each registered participant will be randomly paired with another tapestry weaver with whom they will exchange tapestry postcards. Partners will weave at least one 5” x 7” (13 x 18cm) postcard tapestry each and exchange them via postal mail. Partners are encouraged to communicate via email, or any other agreed upon communication method, to discuss the project, thoughts about the theme HERE AND (T)HERE, and the exchanged tapestries. This will be a fun opportunity to get to know another tapestry weaver and participate in a community project and online exhibition. It is always exciting to get a postcard in the mail, but to get a tapestry postcard will truly be a thrill!
All ATA members are eligible to participate.
The theme for the postcard exchange is HERE AND (T)HERE. Here and (t)here could be one place and/or another; moving back and forth from time to time. Where is here and where is (t)here for you?
- Is here at home by your loom and (t)here outside in nature at the ocean or in the mountains? Or somewhere else?
- Is here where you currently live and (t)here where you dream to live?
- Or is here in the moment and (t)here is the past or perhaps the future?
|January 12, 2019||Registration opens.|
|March 18, 2019||Registration closes.|
|by April 7, 2019||Partners are identified through a random draw.|
|Notification to participants.|
|April to October 2019||Postcard exchange among partners.|
|Ongoing submission of images for sharing on ATA’s social media accounts.|
|May 2019||Social media sharing of postcard exchange tapestries starts.|
|October 15, 2019||Image submission deadline.|
|December 1, 2019||Online exhibition live|
How to take part
- Fill out the form below to participate. There is a $15.00 USD fee to participate. No refunds.
- You will receive an email listing your randomly drawn partner’s name and email address.
- Get in touch with your partner and share any thoughts about the project that you would like to share.
- Weave a 5” x 7” (13 x 18 cm) postcard.
- Mount the woven tapestry. Download a PDF to read about preparing your tapestry for mailing.
- Mail your tapestry to your partner through the postal service without an envelope or any other covering. The back must be stamped and franked. You are responsible for mailing costs.
- Submit information and an image of both the front and back of your partner’s postcard tapestry after you receive it in the mail. You may mask the addresses if you and your partner wish to do that. You may, of course, document your own tapestry postcard with photos, but the images submitted for social media posting and the online exhibition should be taken after the tapestry has been received, via mail, by your partner. Images may be submitted as soon as the tapestry has arrived via the postal mail and been photographed. All images must be submitted by October 15, 2019. Submit images here.
- Partners are welcome to exchange more than one postcard.
- ATA will share images of all exchanged postcards through our social media accounts.
- ATA will create an online exhibition of all exchanged postcards when the exchange is over.
Links to tapestry postcard ideas and images
Email Dorothy Clews.