Constantine, Mildred and Jack Lenor Larsen. The Art Fabric: Mainstream. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., 1981.
Constantine, Mildred and Jack Lenor Larsen. Beyond Craft: The Art Fabric Mainstream.New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., 1972.
Stroud, Marion Boulton. New Material as New Media: The Fabric Workshop and Museum. Cambridge: The MIT Press, 2002.
Wilson, Anne. “A Plea for Broader Dialogue.” Fiberarts, Summer 1994: 52-56.
List of References to Accompanying Slides:
1. Molecular crimp of wool fiber (Textiles by Norma Hollen and Jane Saddler. New York: The Macmillan Co., 1955.)
2. Tablecloth by Margarete Reichardt, tea set by Hans Pzyrembel from the Bauhaus (Women’s Work, Textile Art from the Bauhaus, by Sigrid Wortmann Weltge. San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 1993 and Upholstery material designed and woven by Ed Rossbach in 1959 at Cranbrook, silk and rayon, twill weave (Design in America, the Cranbrook Vision, by Judson Clark et al. New York: Harry N. Abrams, 1983.
3. Tablecloth material by Anni Albers, mercerized cotton 23-1/2″x28 2″ (Anni Albers, by Nicholas Fox Weber and Pandora Tabatabai Asbaghi. New York: The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation, 1999.
4. Sheila Hicks in Mexico in 1960 working on backstrap loom (Beyond Craft: the Art Fabric, Mildred Constantine/Jack Lenor Larsen. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., 1972).
5. Detail of Jean Lurçat tapestry.
6. “Flora” by Robert Wogensky, 4’9.5″ x 6’2.75″, woven by Tabard Atelier, 1962 (Great Tapestries, the Web of History from the 12th to the 20th Century ed, Joseph Jobé. Lausanne: Edita, 1965.
7. “Environment, Situation 4, Abakan Rouge II”, sisal tapestry and rope (detail, 1970) by Magdalena Abakanowicz (Beyond Craft: the Art Fabric, Mildred Constantine/Jack Lenor Larsen. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., 1972)
8. “Le Demeloir” (detail) 1977, Cotton installation, Sheila Hicks
9. “The Twine” by Marijo Yagi, twinning, wild hemp, 1972 (Beyond Craft: the Art Fabric, Mildred Constantine/Jack Lenor Larsen. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., 1972)
10. Lausanne Biennale 1977 (foreground) Francoise Grossen (right wall) Sherri Smith Pavillion (left) Marisa Bandiera Cerantola partial view of “Chromatic Structure” (The Art Fabric Mainstream, by Mildred Constantine and Jack Lenor Larsen. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., 1981)
11. “The Red Glove” by Yoichi Onagi, tubular woven tapestry, cotton, 8.5’x8’x4′ (The Art Fabric Mainstream, by Mildred Constantine and Jack Lenor Larsen. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., 1981
12. “Polycloak” by Glen Kaufman, tapestry, weft pile; polyethylene film, nylon, 78″ x 48″ x 26″, 1979 (The Art Fabric Mainstream, by Mildred Constantine and Jack Lenor Larsen. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., 1981)
13. “Gestation Corset” (detail), catnip, mink, metal eyelets, Lacan, “Dora” test by Freud, Christine Lo Faso, 1992
14. “Mendings”, ground cloth, thread, hair, hand-sewn, 6x7x6 3/4″, Anne Wilson
15. “Old Glory Shroud,” tapestry wedge weave, silk, linen, cotton, nylon, painted warp, 72x126x1″, 1992, James Bassler
16. “I am the Land”, 12.5×50.5×16.5″, fiber, paint by Norma Minkowitz
17. “Filtered”, and detail felt, honey, metal, plastic, 30x540x7″, 2002, Joan Livingstone (Portfolio Collection: Joan Livingstone, Winchester, UK: Telos Art Publishing, 2002.
18. (Untitled) Quilted and beaded comic bedspread, and detail Mark Newport
19. “Domestic Shield I”, 26×23″, 1993, Lou Cabeen and “Did You Keep Our Secret”, photo screen print, stitching, beading, resist dyed linen, 18×13″, 1994, Marna Goldstein Brauner
20. “Soulskin #2”, and detail fabric, dye, Susan Lordi Marker
21. glass “table” with tapestry and detail, Shelley Goldsmith
22. “Site”, wedge weave tapestry, linen and wire, 16″x1″hx32″w, 1998, Sharon Marcus and “To Speak with Threaded Tongue”, linen, cotton, bas-relief tapestry, 33x24x1.5″, 1995, Christine Laffer
23. “Roundedness of Return #1”, gingham dress and woven tapestry, 100 x 150 cm, 1996, Sara Lindsay
24. “Seam”, and detail shaped wedge weave, wool, linen, wire, pigment and medium, 20″hx2-16″w, 2004, Sharon Marcus
25. “Monsoon Capital”, tapestry, silk, nylon monofilament, 23x23x215 cm, 1999, Shelly Goldsmith
26. “Handwork Series: to the Bone, in the blood, from the heart”, 167 cmx139cm, 1999-2001, Jane Kidd
27. “Flore I-4”, (4 slides) Tapestry, wood, 50×50 cm, 1995, Robyn Daw
28. “Ornament” (detail) wood and mixed materials, Sharon Marcus
29. “Shield”, and detail shaped wedge weave wool, linen, wire, pigments, mica, and medium, 20xhx10-16.5″w, 2003, Sharon Marcus
30. “Shellal Mosaic” and detail, Canson paper, paint, wool tapestry, Diana Wood Conroy
31. “Signs of a Shift” and detail, bas-relief tapestry, 56.5x22x5″, 1999, Christine Laffer
32. “Seeped”, felt, suture thread, stain, epoxy resin, pigment, rubber, metal, paint, dimensions variable: this installation 3yx112x96″, 1998-2001, Joan Livingstone, (Portfolio Collection: Joan Livingstone, Winchester, UK: Telos Art Publishing, 2002.
33. “Ha”, mixed fiber on cotton warp, 148×178 cm, 1995, Yumi Kobayashi-Lindsay